November 10, 2013

OAFC Day 8: Key line

No comments:
 
Catch of the day: Key line
I have been fearing the key line filter since the beginning of this project and this morning... I finally pulled it out of my cup! I was afraid because it alters your photos to the point where they do not look like photos anymore, but rather a painting or comic/cartoon. My initial goal was to try and "hide" the fact that I was shooting in key line by photographing very detailed objects, but after apx. 5 minutes of experimentation I realized that there was no point and I better just embrace it for all its weird glory. I am glad I did too! I had a blast this morning! Shooting in this mode was like being transported to into different world.. kind of like the movie "What dreams may come", but a lot less depressing in the end... or Roger Rabbit. I honestly did not think I was going to enjoy this but I will no doubt use this again on very special occasions. Here are a few of my favorites from this morning's session:

All empoyees, 50mm, f/2.8, 1/180, iso 200
Nothing but net, 62mm, f/4.5, 1/4000, iso 640
Jotun 50mm, f/4, 1/90, iso 500 
Chemical closet 15mm, f/8, 1/250, iso 200
Eleven, 40mm, f/8, 1/350, iso 640
On some instances this filter preserves JUST enough detail and it makes it very easy to isolate your subject from its background or hone in on texture. HOWEVER, there were some subjects which I found to be problematic such as birds and clouds. In order to ensure focus I had to be in magnify mode which showed more detail, but then when I captured the photo it disappeared and I was left wishing for more. This mode would be absolutely perfect if you could fine tune the degree of lines preserved in the final Jpeg. Nevertheless, I am glad I ended up embracing this filter I think it made some seemingly boring subjects come to life. The moon is awesome tonight and unobstructed by clouds so I chose my next filter early and have already photographed it with some success. Come back and see what else comes from this mode (which I am keeping a secret lol)! Thanks for dropping by =)

Sam D

More sample photos





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff